Chicken nuggets is a gluten-free recipe that’s been on my bucket list for a long time – yes, I have a recipe bucket list, what can I say?
The thing is, if you’re a mom with very active children who are keen on “helping” you cook everything, you want to keep it simple. Super, super simple.
With that in mind, these gluten-free chicken nuggets, as simple as they are, are the most complicated lunch I’ve make in two weeks. It took me – I mean, us – roughly ten minutes to prep these nuggets for baking, and 20 minutes in the oven. And then of course another ten minutes to photograph them – but you won’t have to worry about that. 😉
That’s longer than it takes to open a package of pre-cooked, frozen nuggets, but this recipe is arguably healthier, and I dare say, much tastier.
And of course, it gets even better, because you can easily make a large batch, flash freeze them on cookie sheets, and store them in heavy zip-top bags in the deep freezer. Voila! Homemade convenience food for busy days!
Our favorite version of this recipe is with boneless, skinless chicken legs and thighs, but if you’re a white meat lover, feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breasts instead.
I always dip my chicken nuggets in ketchup, but today, I was out so I decided to be brave and try ranch dressing. As much as I like ranch, the thought of dipping chicken in it didn’t appeal to me. But surprise, surprise, It’s actually pretty good! If you’re a fellow ranch lover, homemade ranch dressing is definitely the way to go.
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk or water
Preheat oven to 400º
- Cut chicken into 1/4 inch thick pieces about 1.5 inches around.
- Mix flour and cajun seasoning together.
- Liberally grease a large cookie sheet and set aside.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
- Beat egg and add water.
- Dip chicken pieces into water, and re-dip into flour mix one at a time.
- Arrange pieces of chicken onto greased cookie sheet so that they aren’t touching.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the nuggets are turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Cool a bit, and serve with desired dipping sauce.