Chicken nuggets is a gluten-free recipe that’s been on my bucket list for a long time – yes, I have a recipe bucket list, what can I say?
The thing is, if you’re a mom with very active children who are keen on “helping” you cook everything, you want to keep it simple. Super, super simple.
With that in mind, these gluten-free chicken nuggets, as simple as they are, are the most complicated lunch I’ve make in two weeks. It took me – I mean, us – roughly ten minutes to prep these nuggets for baking, and 20 minutes in the oven. And then of course another ten minutes to photograph them – but you won’t have to worry about that. 😉
That’s longer than it takes to open a package of pre-cooked, frozen nuggets, but this recipe is arguably healthier, and I dare say, much tastier.
And of course, it gets even better, because you can easily make a large batch, flash freeze them on cookie sheets, and store them in heavy zip-top bags in the deep freezer. Voila! Homemade convenience food for busy days!
Our favorite version of this recipe is with boneless, skinless chicken legs and thighs, but if you’re a white meat lover, feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breasts instead.
I always dip my chicken nuggets in ketchup, but today, I was out so I decided to be brave and try ranch dressing. As much as I like ranch, the thought of dipping chicken in it didn’t appeal to me. But surprise, surprise, It’s actually pretty good! If you’re a fellow ranch lover, homemade ranch dressing is definitely the way to go.
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk or water
Preheat oven to 400º
- Cut chicken into 1/4 inch thick pieces about 1.5 inches around.
- Mix flour and cajun seasoning together.
- Liberally grease a large cookie sheet and set aside.
- Dredge chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
- Beat egg and add water.
- Dip chicken pieces into water, and re-dip into flour mix one at a time.
- Arrange pieces of chicken onto greased cookie sheet so that they aren’t touching.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the nuggets are turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Cool a bit, and serve with desired dipping sauce.
Get Your Garden Cheat Sheets!
Want to know exactly when, where, and how to plant your vegetables? Sign up to get our FREE companion planting guide, and garden planting cheat sheet printable.