Blueberry Crisp is one of the best gluten-free recipes ever.
My mom use to make apple crisp occasionally when we were kids and it was a big treat. We tried to get her to make it all the time, but there was something about spending half an afternoon peeling apples that didn’t appeal to her. Can’t imagine. 😉
Eventually, years and years and years down the road, we realized that apples were just the tip of the ice berg when it came to fruit crisps. The possibilities are nearly limitless with the various fruits and fruit combinations, but blueberry crisp comes pretty close to tasting heaven.
I love the way baked blueberries become little pocket of juice flavor that burst in your mouth. Combined with gluten-free crisp topping, it’s absolutely magical!
The topping is, without doubt, the most versatile dessert base you’ll ever make, plus it’s really easy to make in large batches and freeze to have on hand for a quick dessert.
Completely aside from making blueberry crisp (or apple, or peach, or pear, or plum, or cherry…), it makes a great streusel topping for coffee cake and muffins. Yum!
Gluten-Free Blueberry Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar (or raw/turbinado sugar)
- 1 cup white sugar (or raw/turbinado sugar)
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour with NO starch. (I used 1/2 corn, half brown rice)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (or other fruit)
Tip: If using another fruit, you may want to add a complementary spice to the mix. For instance, use a teaspoon of cinnamon for apple crisp, or 1/2 teaspoon of cloves for peach.
- Mix butter, sugars oatmeal, and flour together until well combined. Mixture should be crumbly, though if your butter is melted, it will end up being pasty instead, which will still work, the texture will just be a bit different.
- Grease an 9×13 inch baking dish with butter or coconut oil and spread blueberries not the bottom of it.
- Top with crisp mixture.
- Bake at 375 until crisp begins to brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least fifteen minutes before serving.