No need to bemoan food allergies or gluten-free recipes limitations anymore with this gluten-free blackberry crumble recipe!
Blackberries are getting ripe again. Woohoo! I’m so excited! Picking wild blackerries is one of the big highlights of summer for me. Yes, I know they’re prickly, and that I’ll probably get chiggers, but the rewards are worth it!
As much as I love blackberries, you would think the berries we picked and froze last year would be long gone, but we still have one quart left. Time to remedy that and make room for this year’s produce!
One of my favorite indulgent desserts through the years has been fruit crumble. I remember having it when I was young. My mom would mix a stick of melted butter with a cake mix and sprinkle it on top of fruit pie filling. It’s just. so. good! Well, being gluten-free kind of nixes the simplicity of opening a box of cake mix, to say nothing of the fact that those boxes are filled with more fillers, stabalizing agents, and preservatives than you can shake a stick at.
Sure, I know that you can buy gluten free cake mixes – and they’re pretty good really – but there again, you run into unsavory ingredients, and they’re expensive. Soo, I make my own cake mix.
I take a few minutes every now and then to mix up a big batch of this gluten free cake mix to have on hand so that I can have the convenience of making dessert at a moment’s notice, while controlling the ingredients.
This crumble recipe is pretty fantastic with any fruit – not just blackberries. Peaches, cherries, apples, pinnaple, blueberries, fresh, frozen, pie filling – you name it! After you get done with your blackberry crumble, I highly reccomend using cherry pie filling. Oh, yum!
Gluten-Free Blackberry Crumble
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 2 1/2 cups homemade gluten free cake mix
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 quart (4 cups) blackberries, or other fruit or pie filling.
- Layer blackberries into bottom of an 8×8 cake pan.
- Melt butter. Mix in cake mix and vanilla. Stir until well mixed. Mixture should be quite crumbly. if it’s not, add a little more cake mix until it is.
- Sprinkle topping mixture onto the fruit.
- Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes or until nicely browned on top.