Being gluten-free doesn’t have to mean the end of all things delicious. I’m here to tell you that this gluten-free apple fritters is one of the best gluten-free recipes you’ll ever find!
I’ve been deep frying stuff lately. Don’t ask me why, it’s a phase.
Every time I do it lately, I giggle to myself because it reminds me of that scene in Sweet Home Alabama. You know, the one where the hoity-toity New York Mayor tells Melanie Smooder’s mother to go back to her double wide and fry something. I’m not in Alabama, or a double wide. But I’m frying stuff. Gluten-free stuff in coconut oil.
These apple fritters are amazing. My descriptive powers are weak, but trust me, they’re good. Crunchy on the outside and fluffy inside. That’s how an apple fritter should be.
Now, I know that fritters are traditionally dusted with powdered sugar or, as is the case in our local bakery, glazed, but I also like to roll mine in cinnamon-sugar. If you haven’t done it before, try it out! it’s easy, less messy, and so yummy!
If you use sucanat, or another form of more natural sugar, you can whirl it in a blender for a smaller crystal size that, in my opinion, is much more pleasant. If you want sugar-free, then you can either omit the sugar in the batter, or use the equivalent of your preferred sweetener. Just remember that it will affect the texture a bit.Print
Gluten-Free Apple Fritters
- 1 1/3 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups peeled, cored, and chopped apples
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3–4 tablespoons water
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Blend in milk and eggs.
- Stir in apples. Note: You will feel like there are way too many apples compared to batter, but believe me, it’ll work!
- Drop from tablespoon into deep, hot oil.
- Fry until golden, flipping partway through.
- Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or glaze.
- To make glaze, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and water until smooth. Dip fritters in glaze, and drain on a cooling grid placed over a cookie sheet to catch drips.
- Serve while warm (if possible)
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!