These gluten-free apple-cinnamon baked oatmeal cups are a warm breakfast your kids will love all winter long!
There isn’t much I love better on fall and winter mornings than baking something warm, hearty, and delicious for my family’s breakfast.
Simple baking like this is a relaxing and energizing way to start the day, and of course, that trickles down to the family too, because tasty food makes them happy.
So I guess baking makes the whole family happy.
But one of the things I really love about making baked oatmeal is that. While I do love simple instant pot steel cut oats, with setting a regular pot of oatmeal on the table and letting everybody add their own butter, sugar, and various topping, with baked oatmeal, I get to control what goes into it. So there isn’t any question about how many grams of sugar the kids are getting with their breakfast, or any fights that start with “she put too much on hers!” (yes, that has actually happened *eyeroll*)
So in that respect, baking is healthier – who ever thought they’d be saying THAT?
And yes, these muffin cups are only lightly sweetened. Honestly the sweet-tart chunks of apple really add all the sweetness you need!
And for those asking, you can bake this in a rectangle baking pan and have just regular ol’ baked oatmeal, but honestly, why would you? Somehow, making baked oatmeal cups makes them that much more special, and my kids are definitely more enthusiastic when, as my four year old daughter says “they’re so little and cute!”
Gluten-Free Apple-Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Cups
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons light olive oil or melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon (we've recently started getting spices from Raw Spice Bar, and love them!)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 apples (about 1 1/2 cups) peeled, cored, and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Beat eggs and add sugar, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and milk
- Mix together, and add cinnamon and oatmeal
- Lastly, stir in apple chunks
- Divide between 16-18 greased muffin cups
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Allow to col slightly before removing from pan
- Serve, and enjoy!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!