Desserts shouldn’t make you feel guilty for eating them. Cupcakes shouldn’t be a “guilty pleasure”.
Instead, your treats should fit your nutrition plan. But sometimes, that’s easier said than done – I mean, one cupcake with ice cream has a boat load of calories.
But not these.
These chocolate coconut flour cupcakes have 2/3 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of coconut flour divided between a dozen of them!
No, they’re not quite paleo like our paleo chocolate cupcakes, because we use sugar instead of honey or maple syrup to sweeten them.
Why? Sugar gets a lot of bad press, but is it really any worse than “natural” sweeteners?
In moderation, I don’t think so. Just like all other carbohydrates, and for that matter, all macronutrients, sugar should be eaten in moderation.
And when I’m serving cupcakes at my son’s birthday party, I want them to be the best cupcakes, and sugar is the best way to achieve perfect cupcakes.
You may be wondering why sugar and not grain? With coconut flour combined with egg, it’s easy to replicate way grain bakes. Sugar, on the other hand, is unique in the way it acts as liquid in baked goods and adds moisture to your end product.
These chocolate coconut flour cupcakes are almost just like our vanilla coconut flour cupcakes – except obviously chocolate. PERFECT combined with vanilla ice cream, or even (my favorite) mint chocolate chip Enlightened ice cream (I wish I’d gotten pictures of them together at Garrett’s birthday celebration!).
Your whole family will love them, and they might not even guess that they’re grain-free.Print
Coconut Flour Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Whisk oil sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and water.
- Mix coconut flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well.
- Grease a dozen muffin cups, or line with paper cupcake liners.
- Fill each liner 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes on the center rack of the oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven. Let them cool for five minutes before removing cupcakes from the pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before icing with your choice of icing – My favorite is Italian Meringue Buttercream, or whipped cream. Yum!
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!