Looking for something different to make for breakfast this morning? “Apple Pie” sweet potato hash browns are one of our new favorites!
This recipe has a funny story behind it.
See, going on the Whole30 this month completely changed the way we do breakfast.
At first, I tried eggs – scrambled eggs, fried eggs, eggs with spinach, eggs with broccoli, eggs with hash browns – you get the idea.
The kids just weren’t crazy about it.
Then one day, Garrett said “mom, can you make fried sweet potatoes and apples for breakfast?”
At first, I couldn’t imagine putting apples in fried sweet potatoes, but since I happened to have some shredded sweet potatoes all ready to go, I had to at least try.
So at the end of the sweet potato hash browns cook time, I added in some shredded apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
The moisture of the apples softened the crispiness of of the sweet potatoes and added a bit of sweet-tartness to the salty-sweet of the hash browns.
Add in the cinnamon and nutmeg, and I’m happy to say, Garrett not only loved them, but he’s finally stopped asking for his regular oatmeal.
And for the eggs? Everybody’s happy to eat some scrambled eggs as long there’s a little bit of homemade sausage mixed in!
Apple Pie Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 1 Medium sweet potato
- 1 medium baking apple
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (I like to use expeller pressed because it’s flavorless)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Wash or peel sweet potato and shred – A food processor will shred it in about three seconds.
- Heat coconut oil in a 6-8 inch skillet
- When oil is hot enough to sizzle when a piece of sweet potato is added, carefully dump in shredded potato
- While potatoes are frying, core and shred apple
- Stir potatoes with a spatula only after they’ve begun to turn golden brown on the bottom
- After potatoes are mostly done, add apples and stir, being sure to scrap potatoes up from the bottom
- Sprinkle in cinnamon and nutmeg and stir to combine
- Serve hot.
Get The $20 Meal Plan Printable!
Want the printable version of this $20 plan? Sign up to get it WITH a complete shopping list, and meal prep instructions!