Need an easy idea for dinner? This one comes together with just a few minutes of prep time before going into the oven or slow cooker for a no-fuss meal, and goes great with pan fried sweet potatoes!
If I’m being honest, I have to admit that when it comes to meat, I stick mostly to chicken, and ground beef or pork. Meat cuts are just too fussy for me!
But as I’m also a huge fan of sales, and spending less of good food, when pork loin goes on sale for cheaper than either of my preferred meats, I can’t not pay attention.
And that’s the story of how we ended up with a hugemongous pork loin in our refrigerator a few weeks ago.
I promptly cut it in half and froze one section for later, but the other half? Well, I had to figure out something to do with it.
Since it was fairly lean, I knew I was going to have to be careful if I didn’t want to end up chewing porcine sawdust. Yuck!
So I decided to lay it on a bed of onions, garlic, and rosemary to infuse it with flavor, salt the top, and wrap it up tight in a foil packet before baking it.
After wrapping it up, I stuck it in the crockpot instead of the oven, since I had to spend the afternoon running errands in town.
The end result?
Juicy, tender pork loin.
In case you’re wondering, I ended up taking the other half of the pork loin to our church potluck, and baking it as fast as I could in a hot oven during the service. And yup. it was dry.
I’ll stick to my foil packet and slow baking!
Easy Pork Loin Recipe
- 2-3 pounds pork loin
- 1 large onion
- 5-10 closed of garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Slice onions and arrange on a foil sheet in roughly the size and shape of your loin
- Smash garlic to release juices, and sprinkle on top of the onion
- Next, top with your pork loin
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Fold foil around loin and seal it up tight
- Bake on a cookie sheet in a 300º oven for two hours or until the middle of your loin has reached 145º
- Or Place into a crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with your choice of sides (our favorite is roasted sweet potatoes and salad!)
Get our FREE eBook!
Enter your email address below, and we'll deliver this short ebook straight to your inbox!