Need an easy idea for dinner? This one comes together with just a few minutes of prep time before going into the oven or slow cooker for a no-fuss meal, and goes great with pan fried sweet potatoes!
If I’m being honest, I have to admit that when it comes to meat, I stick mostly to chicken, and ground beef or pork. Meat cuts are just too fussy for me!
But as I’m also a huge fan of sales, and spending less of good food, when pork loin goes on sale for cheaper than either of my preferred meats, I can’t not pay attention.
And that’s the story of how we ended up with a hugemongous pork loin in our refrigerator a few weeks ago.
I promptly cut it in half and froze one section for later, but the other half? Well, I had to figure out something to do with it.
Since it was fairly lean, I knew I was going to have to be careful if I didn’t want to end up chewing porcine sawdust. Yuck!
So I decided to lay it on a bed of onions, garlic, and rosemary to infuse it with flavor, salt the top, and wrap it up tight in a foil packet before baking it.
After wrapping it up, I stuck it in the crockpot instead of the oven, since I had to spend the afternoon running errands in town.
The end result?
Juicy, tender pork loin.
In case you’re wondering, I ended up taking the other half of the pork loin to our church potluck, and baking it as fast as I could in a hot oven during the service. And yup. it was dry.
I’ll stick to my foil packet and slow baking!
Easy Pork Loin Recipe
- 2-3 pounds pork loin
- 1 large onion
- 5-10 closed of garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Slice onions and arrange on a foil sheet in roughly the size and shape of your loin
- Smash garlic to release juices, and sprinkle on top of the onion
- Next, top with your pork loin
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Fold foil around loin and seal it up tight
- Bake on a cookie sheet in a 300º oven for two hours or until the middle of your loin has reached 145º
- Or Place into a crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Serve with your choice of sides (our favorite is roasted sweet potatoes and salad!)
Want to Make Healthy Eating Easier?
Download 52 Hacks For A Healthier Life!