Can we talk for a minute about how my toddler can sprinkle toasted coconut onto cupcakes more artfully than I can?
I’m not even kidding. I was bent over the table, sprinkling little bits of coconut over each cupcake, when she reached across, grabbed a handful, and started helping.
The cupcakes in the picture are her cupcakes.
On another note, I really do try to make healthy treats. No really. I do.
Or at least, I try to make them partially healthy, ya know? Like switching from white sugar to unprocessed cane sugar, and investing in 50lbs of coconut flour so we can cut down on our grain consumption.
Honestly, I feel pretty good about these coconut flour cupcakes. Yes, there’s some sugar, but it’s a dessert so… what’s the problem? And I reckon the eggs offset that a bit (right?). After all, eggs are a borderline superfood (right?). And speaking of which, I’m super excited that I just found a guy near town who sells free-range duck eggs! Gabriel tested allergic to chicken eggs over a year ago, which has made baking kind of complicated (thank the Lord for flax seed egg replacer!), so trust me – this is exciting!
Duck eggs or chicken, it doesn’t matter, these cupcakes were a huge hit. Soft, fluffy, and coconutty. Perfect. I can’t believe they’re grain-free!
Coconut Flour Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Whisk oil sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and water.
- Mix coconut flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well.
- Grease a dozen muffin cups, or line with paper cupcake liners.
- Fill each liner ¾ full.
- Bake the cupcakes on the center rack of the oven for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from oven. Let them cool for five minutes before removing cupcakes from the pan to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Cool completely before icing with your choice of icing - My favorite is Italian Meringue Buttercream, or whipped cream. Yum!
Get our FREE eBook!
Enter your email address below, and we'll deliver this short ebook straight to your inbox!